Parent –Teacher Team
Parent School Communication
The education of each student is a joint effort between the school staff and the parents.
It is essential that parents support the school’s philosophy and rules. When the school staff and parents work together the student’s success is assured. If any misunderstanding arises, the parents should call for an appointment to meet with the teacher to discuss the situation. All teachers have e-mail addresses that can be found on the school web site. Check with your child’s teacher to see if email is a good form of communication to use when communicating about school issues. Ongoing communication is the key to our success.
Parents as Partners
As partners in the educational process at Holy Cross School, we ask that parents:
- Set rules, times, and limits so that your child:
- Gets to bed early on school nights
- Arrives at school on time and is picked up on time at the end of the day
- Is dressed according to the school dress code
- Completes assignments on time
- Arrangements for hot lunch or lunch from home daily
- Actively participate in school activities such as parent/teacher conferences.
- See that the student pays for any damages to schoolbooks, technology or property due to carelessness or neglect on the part of the student.
- Notify the school with a written note, a phone call, or an e-mail to the main office when a student will be absent or tardy.
- Notify the school office in writing of any changes of address or important phone numbers.
- Meet all financial obligations to the school.
- Notify the school in writing of any special circumstances regarding the student’s well-being, safety, and health.
- Complete and return to school any requested information promptly.
- Read school notes and informational items and to show interest in student’s total education.
- Support the religious and educational goals of the school.
- Support and cooperate with the discipline policy of the school.
- Support and participate in opportunities for community involvement to meet the 25 hour commitment requested of each family to meet our fundraising goals.
- Treat teachers and staff with respect and courtesy in discussing student problems.
Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent-teacher conferences are scheduled through an electronic scheduling program. A notice will go out notifying the parents when the “window” is open to schedule your conference. If you are having difficulty scheduling your conference come to the school and we will help you navigate the system and get you scheduled for conferences.
Parent-teacher conferences are scheduled each year in the fall and the spring to discuss all aspects of your child’s progress. However, parents are urged to contact their child’s teacher whenever they have a concern. Remember, your child has several teachers. If you feel there are issues or circumstances affecting your child’s behavior, welfare or learning, please address all of the teachers involved.
Teacher Ease (a software program allowing parental monitoring of school work) is available for grades 3 - 8 so parents can monitor their child’s academic progress on-line through the “parent portal”. A password is assigned to the parents in the beginning of the year so parents can access this feature.
Once a week, usually on Friday, notices are sent home via the e-mail list. The Holy Cross website and Facebook page also reflect informational items and photos. All teachers post academic assignments and long-term projects on their Moodle page. The Moodle page is updated weekly as assignments change as well as daily if needed.